Formal 2020: A Living Fairytale

Senior Jesus Aguilera and junior Pamela Hernandez share a dance together after being crowned Formal King and Queen. Photo by Jada Smith

Katarina Quintana, Editorial Editor/Webmaster

A Fairytale Fantasy Winter Formal 2020 was held in the SHS Dining Hall on Saturday, January 25th. With over 330 attendees, it was the largest turnout Selma High has seen in several years. This year the sophomore class was in charge of organizing the dance with Mia Harris being the head coordinator. She and other students worked hard to make sure the night was a success.

“The other sophomore class officers and I worked as a team morning and night until everything got done, such as setting up and decorating,” explained Harris.

The fairytale theme was reflected in all of the decorations. Upon entering, students walked through a curtain of suspended ivy into a dimly lit hall, which captured the fantasy theme. Students sat at round tables lit with fairy lights and draped with black tablecloths. They helped themselves to the dessert spread which included, pink popcorn, chocolate-covered strawberries, cakepops, rice krispy treats, punch, and water. Students also took photo booth pictures with their friends to have something to reflect back on.

There was great feedback from those who attended.

“My expectations were met,” said senior Gianna Rangel. “I feel like there was a great turnout and it was well decorated. The thing I enjoyed most about the dance was getting to sing and dance along with all my close friends.”

During the middle of the event, it is formal tradition to crown one Formal King and Formal Queen. This year’s formal royalty was senior Jesus Aguilera and junior Pamela Hernandez.

“I was really surprised about winning queen because personally I have not won a position like that,” stated Hernandez. “It was exciting and heart-warming that I was voted for and I was really excited that I won with my boyfriend.”

“That night exceeded my expectations because the music was great and my girlfriend and I won king and queen,” expressed Aguilera. “I wasn’t expecting to be crowned king that night but I enjoyed when Pamela and I both won together, which made the night even better.”

Seniors mentioned how this year’s dance was their favorite compared to previous years.

“This year’s formal was definitely a night to remember, especially for seniors as we all got to enjoy our last ever winter formal together as a class,” explained Rangel.

“It’s my last formal because it’s my senior year,” said Aguilera. “I’ve gone to all of them since freshman year and this formal was by far the best.”

Some students believe the music needs a little bit of improvement for next year.

“I wished they played more of today’s hits and had a bigger selection of songs to choose from because the dj did replay songs,” expressed Rangel.

Students loved hanging out with their friends and dancing on the dance floor at this year’s winter formal.