Winter Guard: Words, Passion, and Expression

Winter+Guard+gathers+for+a+photo.+

Winter Guard gathers for a photo.

Donna Rubio, Reporter

Selma High School’s winter guard won second place in their division: Scholastic A Gold at the South Valley Winter Arts Association circuit competition on March 19. The competition was held at Sierra Pacific High School.

Their win propelled them to participate in the South Valley Winter Arts Association championships that were held on April 2, 2022. For Selma High School’s winter guard, it is the first year they will compete. 

The difference between marching season for color guard and winter guard season is beyond what is presented. The greatest difference between marching season and winter guard is the change in intricacy. 

During the fall, we begin training them with fundamentals we expect to advance as we progress into the winter,” states winter guard instructor Ms. Matias Perez. “The conditions of training and performing are different in terms of venues, schedules, and even in ways of communicating with our students.” 

“The hardest part about winter guard is having to multitask,” shared sophomore Macie Panagos. “When doing your show you have to use the proper technique with everything you do, make it to your drill spot, make sure you’re hitting your checkpoints, all while performing and looking up.” 

The practices also add to the level of difficulty of winter guard. The team practices every Tuesday and Thursday from six to nine in the evening. When the team is not at a competition on a Saturday, they are practicing from one to five in the afternoon. 

For freshman Yarektzy Navarro, she takes advantage of any spare time to do things that others could do without the conflict of time. 

“The way I manage my time is taking every minute I have to finish work before practices or performances,” Navarro explained. “It’s very stressful to balance school and winter guard but communication with the rest of my teachers has helped a lot.” 

Communication is an important factor in any activity. It is especially essential in an activity in which teamwork is the foundation to success. Communication is not only fundamental between teammates. It is also important for the instructors to have good communication. This is present in instructors Daisy Gonzales and Ivana Matias Perez’s way of teaching. 

“Collaboration and communication are key factors to bringing a design and show together,” explains Ms. Gonzales.  Each staff member has the knowledge and strengths that when put together sustain the education our students need.” 

However many difficulties the winter guard may face, it is not greater than the passion the instructors and members have for the activity. 

According to Panagos, “What I enjoy most about winter guard is being able to express. Yes, there are correct ways to do things, but you can always add your touch to the way you perform.”

The connection created from the articulation of a movement to how the eye comprehends the motion is only possible if behind what is shown there is communication.