High School at a Glance

Denise Venegas, Reporter/Photo Editor

During my four years of high school, I found it very interesting how school and the people you meet can impact and shape your life. I really enjoyed making new friends and creating bonds that I know will last a lifetime. High school not only taught me the basic necessities in education, but it also taught me about life and gave me insight on how to better myself now that I’m entering adulthood. 

It’s scary realizing how fast time flies by because I remember being an anxious 14-year-old, not knowing whether or not high school would be the same as middle school, which was even more dreadful than any other year. However the anxiety left me as soon as I felt more comfortable with my friends and teachers. 

Speaking of teachers, I would like to thank those teachers who helped me grow as a student and as a human being. I would like to thank Mr. Castle for giving me the ability to strengthen my writing and increase my fondness for English. Because of him, I now find a passion in liberal studies and wish to pursue that area of study at Fresno State. 

I would also like to thank all of my peers and friends who made school a little less boring even in the most serious cases. I owe it all to my physical education class freshman year because that is where I met the funniest people. To this day, I think of them as my best friends because even though we may have not talked as much during the pandemic, our bond remained powerful enough to allow us to come back and continue our life as it was. 

I didn’t expect to be so involved in school because, to be honest, I hate school more than I hate canned mushrooms. However, now I enjoy being more active in the school environment. Otherwise I would’ve remained the antisocial teen I was during the pandemic. Now that it’s my senior year I realize that I took many of my days for granted, but at the same time, the days I missed made me realize how much I needed school. 

My senior year has been so chaotic but I’m still pushing through and look forward to seeing everyone of my friends at graduation. I always said that I wasn’t going to go to prom or other school events, but even though the DJ was a bit questionable, prom was an experience that I could relive for an eternity. Just seeing all the upperclassmen being there and enjoying their company, was so heartwarming. I’m glad I was able to spend it with someone who I cherish very much. I owe it to Selma High for helping me find somebody in my life who brings me joy and happiness. 

Though we only have a couple weeks left, I would like to remember all the great memories I made at Selma High. To all the underclassmen, I hope you will take more consideration for the time you have remaining in high school because it flies over your head faster than you can imagine.