The Vibrant Mexican Culture

Above+is+what+is+known+as+Folk+Dance%2C+where+men+and+women+wear+beautiful+clothing+covered+in+a+variety+of+colors+It+is+where+they+joyfully+dance+in+unique+ways+to+different+songs.+This+showcases+Folkloric+Dance+as+a+vital+form+of+Mexican+culture.+

Art by Palak Tohan

Above is what is known as Folk Dance, where men and women wear beautiful clothing covered in a variety of colors It is where they joyfully dance in unique ways to different songs. This showcases Folkloric Dance as a vital form of Mexican culture.

Masielle Pantoja, Reporter/ Social Media Editor

Mexican culture encompasses various celebrations with traditional food, lively music, and joyful dances.Traditions are passed from generation to generation in hopes of keeping the culture alive.

Many celebrations are enjoyed throughout the year. Some celebrate Mexico’s triumphs like Cinco de Mayo (the Battle of Puebla) and Mexican Independence Day. Others like to celebrate religion-based celebrations like Christmas, which honors the birth of Jesus, and El Día de la Virgen de Guadalupe (Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe) on December 12th. More celebrations include Día de los Muertos, which is celebrated on November 2nd, where those who have passed are honored and remembered. During this time, there are sure to be many posadas and ofrendas (offerings). 

“We set up our ofrenda every November to commemorate those who have passed away by setting up pictures of them and their favorite food on the mantle” Senior, Rosselyn Machado Sanchez stated.

Many festivities are held throughout communities where neighbors will share laughter over great food, music, and dance.

Food is a very important part of family gatherings, birthdays, weddings, and holidays. Tacos are amongst everyone’s favorite food and can be found in every local food shop. Mexican white, green, or red pozole can be enjoyed at any time, but especially in the winter. Tamales and champurrado (a warm, thick beverage) are traditionally served during Christmas time, but can be enjoyed even in the summer.

Music and dance make Mexico’s culture very festive. Mariachis are seen at all major celebrations. Mariachis can be a group of men or women dressed in embroidered clothing, belts, boots, and sombreros. Women wear folkloric dresses covered in colorful attire. Folk dance adds an entertaining aspect to Mexican culture as well. Some well known dances include, Jarabe Tapatío, Danza de los Viejitos, and Danza del Venado. 

“I love doing Mexican dance because I really feel like I am connecting to my roots…Mexican dance not only represents Mexico, but all its fun cultures, dances, and amazing colors of the different regions” Sophomore, Monika Treviño explained.

Music and dance are present at all celebrations in Mexican culture.

Mexican culture is one of the many beautiful and vibrant cultures. It showcases the traditional and home-like feeling of Mexican culture.The celebrations, traditional food, music, and wonderful dances is what makes Mexico, Mexico! The country and what it flaunts is what makes its culture unique and vibrant.