Please Welcome Mr. Campbell, Selma High’s New Principal

Diana Garza, Co-Editor in Chief/Webmaster/Co-Sports Editor

This school year began with an aura of uncertainty, however the arrival of Mr. Campbell—Selma High’s new Principal—has brought stability. Mr. Cambell has stepped in as Selma High’s interim Principal, taking on the position until the end of the semester. 

Having worked as a teacher for ten  years, later as a Principal at Washington Union, and even as a superintendent, Mr. Campbell retired three  years ago. 

“Coming back to a job was a shock, but several things fell into place,” explained Mr. Campbell. “I love the staff, the teachers, administrators, and the kids. They’re all very nice.” 

Mr. Campbell has been hard at work since his arrival, and it’s apparent that he cares about Selma High. 

“I’m looking forward to creating an atmosphere where people are happy to be here. If our teachers and staff are happy, the system works well and that’s better for students,” related Mr. Campbell. 

Selma is no stranger to Mr. Campbell, who has been connected to the community for several years. 

“I’ve known Selma for years,” he added. “Selma always had a really good reputation, and everyone here wants to restore what they felt Selma was at one time. The student body and community are very lucky to have the staff that are here.”

Although thoroughly embedded in the educational system, Mr. Campbell did not go into teaching right away. 

“I was in the banking business for agriculture and it was boring,” he admitted. “I decided to give teaching a shot, and it’s been a joy to work with kids.”

Mr. Campbell also described the challenges of being an administrator, depicting it as a puzzle in need of solutions. Although demanding, he has found liveliness in his work.

“It was challenging and I really enjoyed that. Working with a team of people to come to solutions that were really productive. It was fun,” Mr. Campbell said. 

Selma High’s principal is glad to be here and take on a new assignment. Mr. Campbell understands that teenagers are young adults and that being in education means having to like kids. 

“It’s fun to talk to them and hear what they’re thinking,” described Mr. Campbell. “It really does make you appreciate the challenges of being a teenager and I want to help people succeed.”