It’s Been Quite a Time

Ari Matias Perez, Co-Editor in Chief, Co-News Editor

I’ve always been one of those people who couldn’t wait to graduate high school and go off to college.  Although I do still feel that way, I’ve grown to enjoy and appreciate my time in high school.  I definitely would never want to live through it again but let’s face it, I needed some character development. 

The pandemic has really made the senior experience a bit… bland.  Having almost half of your high school years taken away is bound to make for an interesting senior class.  In my experience, this senior year has been underwhelming.  Senior year of high school is always made out to be a magical experience that you will never forget.  Quite frankly I already forgot what happened last week.   In a year full of “lasts,” I never felt the need to participate in things like prom and senior ditch day in order to have the whole “high school experience.”  Besides the whole “decide how you want the next four years of your life to go” in the middle, it felt like a normal year.  No life changing revelation to go along with my diploma.  

Maybe it was the fact that I was always too busy to actually enjoy myself that led to my mediocre high school experience. Although not involved in thousands of activities, the things I did participate in were very time consuming.  Most days I was at school more than I was at home and was lucky if I could scavenge some time for myself.   One thing I did enjoy this year was that the pandemic forced me to slow down and enjoy my own company.  In the back of my head I always knew pushing myself to my limits wasn’t healthy, but it turned into a cycle I couldn’t get out of.  One of my mistakes has been not knowing when to stop.  I struggled finding the balance between being a well rounded student and having fun.  It’s one of those do as I say not as I do things.

What made my time in high school worth it was the people I met.  I’ve made so many genuine friends that I see lasting a lifetime.  What makes a good high school experience is the accumulation of every small moment in which you genuinely feel happy.  I find that most of the time, these moments happen when you are around your friends.  

Even despite all the stress, I’ve always valued my education.  Honestly I didn’t even think I’d be in a position to go to a prestigious university this fall (WOO Berkeley).  It’s extremely fulfilling to know that all my hard work is paying off.  I’m excited for what my future holds and hope to continue learning how the world works.