Dear Senior Me

htnkdslnsd

htnkdslnsd

Katarina Quintana, Editorial Editor/Webmaster

The class of 2020, “WE SEE THE FUTURE CLEARLY” is a slogan on one of my class t-shirts, but boy oh boy we sure didn’t see this coming. The coronavirus came out of nowhere and robbed me of the last and best part of high school. I was looking forward to all of the fun end of the year activities like senior sunset, the senior trip, the last rally, the Top 25 banquet, and most importantly graduating in the new stadium. *sigh* Every now and then I get down thinking about all that seniors are missing out on and even a little upset. I have to remind myself that the situation is completely out of my control and try to find the positives in it. I have so much to be thankful for and have grown so much throughout high school. Four years seems so long when you’re a freshman but it really does fly by.

I just received my senior letter in the mail that I wrote to myself as an 8th grader. I’ve looked forward to reading it for four years. As a 14 year old, I didn’t know that the next four years of my life would be some of the most challenging but also the most rewarding years of my life. I didn’t know then that I would join Chamber choir, become a Bible club leader, or even write for the Clarion. If you would’ve told me four years ago that I would sing the national anthem at a rally in front of hundreds of people, I wouldn’t have believed you. I wouldn’t have imagined I could lead club activities or run the Clarion webpage. Like WHAT?! I was so hesitant and scared to put myself out there and try new things. Don’t get me wrong, I still get shy sometimes but I’ve grown so much. High school has pushed me out of my shell, and now I feel more comfortable and confident in myself. 

One thing I did know back then was I wanted to challenge myself with AP classes and make the Top 25. I decided to take a total of five AP classes throughout high school and I don’t regret it at all. I am now a better writer, thinker, and have learned more math in the past two years than in all my school years combined (thanks AP calculus). My goal was to get straight-As, and I can’t believe I actually pulled it off. I would stay up late doing homework and honestly, didn’t have the best sleep schedule (I do regret not being more disciplined in that area). However, all of the hard work definitely paid off. I made it into the Top 25 and made 8th grade me very proud. I also mentioned in my letter that I was taking dance classes. Dance has continually been there for me throughout high school. I’m thankful to have landed some lead parts in our productions and plan to continue dancing throughout college. 

Eighth grade was the first year I started physical therapy for scoliosis. It’s something that challenged me in every area of my life. I learned so much about myself through it all. I learned I am capable and strong enough to do more than I think. My faith was tested and I’ve learned that putting my trust in God is really the only thing that will help me get through anything. Eighth grade me was hoping I’d be done with treatment by now but I’m not done quite yet. I teared up as I read the words, “keep pushing through because you are STRONG! You did it when you were my age and you can do it now,” because that’s exactly what I needed to hear during this season. 

I want to say thank you to all of my teachers for pouring into my life the last four years. Your teaching and advice has helped guide me into the person I am today. Thank you Dad, Mom, and Tori for being by my side through the ups and downs. I also want to thank all of my friends for being by my side and making high school unforgettable. I’m looking forward to college and making new memories in the next season of my life. As I look forward to college, I’m going to take my own advice from 8th grade, “just do your best in everything you do!:).”