“Out Of The Shadows” And Now She’s Shining

Simran Dadra, Reporter

Wether we’re scrolling through our twitter timelines or our instagram feeds, we definitely come across inspiring stories and inspirational figures from every corner of the world on a daily basis.  However through the use of media, we tend to overlook the stories of inspiration and inspirational figures with whom we unknowingly interact with everyday. One such figure is Selma High’s Enedina Reed, the learning director for the class of 2021.

Mrs. Reed is the shining example of an immigrant success story and has managed to accomplish so much more with her life.

Originally hailing from the Mexican state of Jalisco, she immigrated to the United States of America at the young age of nine.

“I started to learn the language and I realized how challenging life was going to be living in a new country,” recalled Reed.

As an immigrant, Reed shared that experiences such as working in the fields taught her that an education would be her pathway to providing a better life for herself and her family.  Reed’s experiences help prove that an education and hard work are keystones in life.

Heavily influenced by her past, Reed’s encounters with educators at school became her inspiration to pursue a career in education.

“When I was a little girl, and I was teased and laughed at by other kids. Then I noticed there were nurturing adults around me that were a positive influence on me”, reminisced Reed.

As an educator now, Reed hopes to help and motivate struggling children as she had once been in their shoes. In the position of learning director, her job primarily consists of analyzing transcripts and helping the class of 2021 reach the necessary milestones in order to graduate and be successful even beyond high school.

In addition to her work at Selma High, Reed has written a book titled, “Out of the Shadows.”  The book elaborates on the obstacles Reed faced not only as an undocumented immigrant but also the darkness of growing up with an abusive father.

“I wrote the book because despite of those difficulties, I always try to stay positive and that’s my message in the book. If you’re persistent and work hard, you’ll get to that happy place,” added Reed.

For a woman who defines success as being able to provide for her family and helping others, Mrs. Reed is undoubtedly extremely successful and her pathway to success has become an inspiration to many.