The Next Big Thing for Girls’ Basketball

Avnique Gill, Reporter

A new era for the Selma High girl’s basketball team started after a new girls’ basketball coaching staff was announced. This staff consists of Brianna Alvarez as the girl’s varsity head coach, assisted by coaches Yesenia Cobian, Jordan Whitfield, and Tatiana Ong. This staff has been coaching the team for three months through their fall season of basketball.
“The whole staff is loving and caring. They keep us accountable for what we do and help us stay disciplined in what we do,” stated junior Isha Panu.
“The coaches are very good at encouraging us, they tell us to cheer on our teammates which I think makes us a better team and gives us more energy,” sophomore Kennedi Carossco added.
Head coach Alvarez has been playing basketball since the fifth grade and finished off her career at Fresno Pacific University on March 2, 2020. She was named All-PacWest Player in multiple seasons along with being a member of the distinguished 1,000-point club
Selma High will be Alvarez’s first head coaching job as she has spent the previous few seasons as an assistant coach at Fresno City College, Buchanan High School, and Clovis High School.
“Her energy is always on point. Every practice she always brings high energy and a smile on her face,” says junior Reanna Garcia.
Alvarez has faced many challenges with injuries, however, this did not stop her from playing the game she loves. She is now carrying this passion for the game with her to the Selma high girl’s basketball team.
“I feel like the program coming in was a program that was well respected in their league. I can’t wait to carry my love for the game on to these girls,”Alverez states
Alvarez is ready to help these girls grow and take their skill set to the next level, taking on the challenges and competition that this season will hold for them.