ROTC Works on Improving Themselves

Contributed by Elisa Avila

ROTC members take a photo at the Marine Corps Ball.

Diana Garza, Co-Editor in Chief/Webmaster/Co-Sports Editor

Selma High’s JROTC program—Leadership Education Marine Corps Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps—has tirelessly been putting in effort to make for a productive school year. The class focuses on honing cadets’ critical thinking and leadership skills, offering self improvement. They recently participated in the Turlock Bulldog Challenge as well as celebrated the Marine Corps birthday. 

On November 12, the JROTC class traveled to Turlock to compete and participate in a series of competitions. 

“It went from physical to mathematics and science,” explained junior Primavera Vargas. “It’s basically a chance for all cadets to participate in what their strongest suit is.” Vargas has been a part of the program since her freshman year.

The Turlock event gave cadets the opportunity to compete and challenge themselves, not just physically, but also mentally. 

“The cadets that went were able to talk to members of different units, like the Marine Corps, Navy, and Air Force,” said senior Elisa Avila. 

This is Avila’s first year in the class, but she has already learned and had a lot of fun. 

“A lot of people have a misconception of what ROTC really is,” continued Avila. “It shows you life skills and leadership capabilities that are beneficial in and outside of the program.” 

The JROTC class has also been participating in drill, marksmanship, and cyberpatriot sessions. Meaning they have been practicing military commands, shooting, and learning computer technology. 

“We normally travel from state to state, but due to COVID we’ve been limited to mainly competitions here at school,” added Vargas. 

Another big part of the program—and the United States military in general—is the Marine Corps Ball. The Ball was on November 12, running for four to nine, and was thrown in celebration of the Marine Corps birthday.

“It shows the cadets to be proud of what they’re doing and representing,” said Vargas. 

The night began with a ceremony, and was followed by dinner and dance. A guest speaker also came, addressing the importance of the program. 

“It was really nice,” praised Vargas. “He really talked about the purpose of being a leader and branching out, not putting limits on yourself. 

The entire program offers community service, responsibility roles, and many opportunities for cadets. The students are not just focused on the military, but are around adults who can inform them about future posterity.