Kickoff To Boys’ Soccer Season

Selma+Bears+playing+their+first+home+against+Handford+High+

Nico Colado

Selma Bears playing their first home against Handford High

Nico Colado, Reporter

Selma High School’s boys’ varsity soccer team is officially kicking off their season. Scheduled to play their first game on November 18 against Hanford High, the boys are prepared and confident to compete. Throughout this upcoming season, Selma High is going to face teams such as Kingsburg High, Dinuba High, and Immanuel High. However, what’s important to the team is taking the game one step at a time. 

“We want to start off this season with the right foot, and take it goal by goal,” says Coach Zamora. “Starting off with the basics, and competing throughout the season is our goal as of right now.” 

This is Coach Zamora’s ninth year coaching boys soccer at Selma High. Initially starting off as the Head JV coach, this is his fifth year coaching the boys varsity team. 

So far the team has shown several positive qualities in the way they practice and play. 

“Everyday we give 110% at practice and especially at games,” says senior Pedro Rangel. “We have a strong overall team and I’m pretty sure we’re gonna get good results.” 

Pedro is a senior at Selma High and plays forward. 

The different qualities the boys bring to the sport also adds to their merit. 

“We always have different qualities as the years go by, but I think our best quality is the work ethic and the commitment that this team shows,” Coach Zamora states.  “I think that’s our strength!” 

With Covid-19 putting a hold on all sports around the world, the return to ordinary has been tough. “At first it was hard because everyone was out of condition, our team would get pretty tired during our games,” left back senior Jorje Barranco explains. “Also, our biggest obstacle has been getting used to each other, there are a lot of new faces this year. But we’ve been working together as a team trying to improve each spot and I’m confident going into our first game!”

With their last regular season game taking place on February 10th, the team has plenty of time to perfect their craft and become comfortable with each other. This is their last year in the CSL, Central Sequoia League, which means this might be their last time playing some of their rivals. They are working hard to get off to a great start and are confident in their abilities.