Grad Trip: Another Tradition with a Twist

Juliana Ramirez, Editorial Editor

The class of 2021 has had twists and turns throughout the year, so unsurprisingly the traditions will be no different. Holding onto the end of year senior trip, rather than a Grad Night, the senior class was blessed with a Grad Day! On May 29, the Saturday after senior check out, the class of 2021 will leave the Selma High Campus and enjoy a full day at Great America amusement park.

Due to COVID-19 restrictions in the area, the park couldn’t be opened for the full night the way it traditionally is for seniors trips where students arrive in the evening and stay until the park closes. However, modifications were made to allow students to attend from the opening of the park until it’s evening closing time. 

Currently the park is only opening up to 2,500 visitors because of CDC safety guidelines, including the graduates going to attend the trip.

Students like AJ Montijo are looking forward to this trip due to the Senior class finally being able to follow through with traditions.

“I’m excited to go somewhere with my friends,” Montijo expressed.

Ms. Loving has worked to help organize and sign students up for the trip and encourages students to take advantage of this opportunity, while still being careful about guidelines.

Seniors should expect to have a great time!” stated Ms. Loving. “This is a time to celebrate and have some fun, safely. It’s been a long pandemic and we need to be mindful that it isn’t over yet.”

Friends and a final day of fun with their classmates is a reason a lot of students chose to attend this year.

“The only reason I decided to go is because I’ve been so busy with school and work,”explained senior Alondra Lopez. I just need a break where I can just relax and have fun with my friends. Also, I really like roller coasters.”

The busses will depart from Selma High at 7am to Great America and students who are signed up will only be able to attend after they are fully checked out. 

After a long year, enjoy your day of fun Class of 2021.