The Freshman Campus Tour Marks a New Beginning

Freshmen line up for temperature checks. Taken by James Jensen.

Diana Garza, Co-Editor in Chief/Webmaster/Co-Sports Editor

The first day of school is always filled with nerves, questions, and excitement. This year, the first day of school hardly met the normal criteria since it was held via distance learning due to the pandemic. But, starting April 6th, seniors were able to return, followed by freshman on the 8th, juniors on the 13th, and finally sophomores on the 15th. As incoming freshmen are traditionally invited to their own “first day” as a Selma High introduction, a freshman campus tour was held for them prior to returning in-person.  

This freshmen campus tour was on March 25, two weeks before their first day of in person learning, from 3 to 4 in the afternoon. First days of school tend to be chaotic—scrambling around looking for classes—so this prior date is set aside for incoming freshmen to familiarize themselves with the campus. This way, Selma High’s newest students have some sort of experience running around school. 

“Link Crew and Leadership were there,” explained Link Crew member Sofia Orosco, “Link Crew’s purpose is to help freshmen have a good transition into High School.” 

Leadership organizes school activities, they gave care packages to the new students at the campus tour. The bundles consisted of Selma High T-shirts and other goods. 

As for the campus tour, Link Crew members were assigned groups of freshmen to tour around Selma High.

It’s always nice to be informed before trying or starting new things. 

This year has certainly been unpredictable at best, and students being able to attend in-person classes is a turn towards normalency.

“My first impression of the school was that it was big,” explained freshman Mohamad Awad, “The first day went by pretty fast and it wasn’t that bad. The classes were easier compared to online.”

Learning is always hard, so being in an environment that is best for you allows for the most advantageous education. Being on campus is the light at this very long tunnel.