Selma High Reacts: President Trump’s Impeachment

Ari Matias Perez, Co-Editor in Chief, Co-News Editor

After the 2020 election results were settled and Joseph Biden became the president-elect, tension in the United States was high.  Donald Trump spread the notion that the election was fraudulent and therefore, cheating him from a second term.  

On January 6, 2021, Trump gave a speech to his supporters at a “Save America” rally.  During this speech, Trump stated things like “We will never give up. We will never concede. It doesn’t happen” and “We will stop the steal” These various statements are what many think led to the coup at the nation’s capital only hours later.  Following this event on January 13, the House of Representatives started debating on what would be Trump’s second impeachment.  Just after two hours of debate the house of representatives voted to impeach Trump, with a vote of 232-197, on a single article of incitement to insurrection.  The process then continued to the Senate for the beginning of his trial.  His impeachment trial began on February 9 and ended on February 13.  After five days, the senate voted to acquit Trump for the second time in his term.  Although the majority of senators voted to convict, 57-43, in order for a conviction, 67 senators must have voted to do so. 

These results caused much outrage and some Selma High students reflected the same feelings.

“I don’t think the results were correct, but I hate to admit that I wasn’t surprised,” expressed Oriana Espiritu.  “I believe the Republican party didn’t want to admit that they had followed the wrong President.”

Other students felt disappointed in the actions of their country’s leader.

“It’s disappointing that we can’t trust our government to do what’s right for our country the way we would want them too,” said Alondra Lopez. 

Others thought Trump’s actions after the capital coup were much worse.

“It was not the impeachment that struck the final nail in the coffin for him,” stated James Jenson. “In my mind it was when POTUS released a video statement on Twitter saying ‘We love you and support you but go in peace’ in regard to the people rioting in the Capitol.”

These events caused a surge of emotions and thoughts toward the Former President of the United States.  Although Trump is no longer president, some students still feel the need to talk about the impact he made in the United States.