Selma Reacts to Recent Election Controversy

Ari Matias Perez, Co-Editor in Chief, Co-News Editor

The 2020 Election took place on November 3, however, the results of the election held citizens in anticipation for days on end.  On November 7, news networks named Joseph Biden the new president elect, making Donald Trump a one term president. 

As more and more votes were counted in flip states, such as Nevada, Georgia, and more importantly Pennsylvania flipped from red to blue states.  Trump then took to twitter and accused the 2020 election of being fraudulent and began to file suit against many different states who flipped blue.  Since then, many courts have rejected his case due to lack of evidence.  This sparked a lot of controversy amongst Trump supporters and the country as a whole. 

The younger generation has been more involved in this election.  Selma students and community members all have strong opinions about the recent events. 

“I have been involved in politics since I was thirteen because Donald Trump was running and threatened to deport people like my family,” stated Oriana Espiritu.  “My political beliefs have not changed, but have gotten stronger and confident in the party I stand with.”

To some, Biden’s win was too close for comfort and knew to brace themselves for whatever was to come.

“I thought Trump would get re-elected but I hoped that Bernie or Biden would win,” claimed Espiritu.  “I didn’t want to get my hopes up like I did in 2016.  I prepared myself for the worst but still with some hope in this country despite everything.”

Others, however, didn’t find Trump’s loss surprising due to his performance in office.

“In my opinion, the rhetoric that Trump uses is extremely racist and homophobic,” said a Selma High student who wished to remain anonymous.  “Plus, using your religion to gain supporters is a cop out.”

Many also believe that voters from minorities helped propel Biden to his win, not voter fraud. 

“Large scale voter fraud has never happened and it is highly unlikely that it would happen now,” stated the unnamed student.  “There were many like the black women in Atlanta who spearheaded getting out the vote of youth and minorities, and the country spoke for itself.”

The young voters also are believed to hold weight. 

“Lots of Biden supporters were young voters and I think they had a lot to do with his win,” reported Espiritu.  

As the younger generation grows, it is important for them to get involved in their community and civic duty.  This generation is the future of the country, do your own research and formulate your own beliefs.