Boys Baseball Reach For More Than Homeplate

Isaiah Gastelum pitching.

Julianna Colado, Co-Sports Editor

The varsity boys baseball team has begun its season with a swing! They recently played Sanger High school on February 29th and lost with a score of 3-0. The boys are 3-4 overall, but have not played any league games yet. 

Senior Captain Leo Arreguin has high hopes for this season. 

“One of my personal goals for the season is to lead the league in hits and find ways to do my job for the team,” says Arreguin. 

Leo plays outfield, and has been on varsity for two years. 

Team chemistry plays a large role in the success of the boys. Brotherhood and good sportsmanship during games and practices is what leads the boys to victories against rival teams like Kingsburg and Exeter.  

“Our team chemistry is getting a lot better, everyone seems to be getting along and finding their ways to make the team better,” explains Arreguin.

“As a team, something we would like to accomplish is win League and go on to hopefully win Valley,” adds Arreguin. 

Captain Eddie Avalos shares his personal goals for his senior season. 

“My personal goal for the season is to contribute the most as I can for my team, to strive for greatness for the team,” says Avalos.

Avalos mentions team strengths and weaknesses. 

“Our team strengths are always talking it up with each other. Communication is key on the field and we do pretty good at it,” he adds. 

Although the boys have several strengths, they are constantly looking for ways to improve. 

“We can definitely work on our tempo at practice and during games, we can sometimes get in our heads during games or practice,” explainsAvalos. 

Junior Luke Tellez plays second base and shortstop. Being his first year on varsity, Luke hopes to push himself to improve his skills constantly. 

“The season has started pretty good, I want to make contributions to the team as much as I can and improve on the field every day,” says Tellez. 

Coach Hollet is determined to make this season a memorable one.  

“We have won three lost four to start the season. It is always a process and there are some bright spots. The good news is we haven’t played to our potential,” mentions Hollet. 

He shares his motivational words that will lead his team in winning back-to-back League titles.  

“Trust the process and play like champions. Have confidence in that,” says Hollet. 

Through countless hours of practice, the Bears prepare to jump into their season and begin their League games with focus and determination.