SHS Canned Food Drive Spreads Holiday Cheer

Noelle Marroquin, Reporter

As of December 2nd the Selma High School Canned Food Drive has begun.

The Food Drive, which will be taking place across the campus, is an opportunity to give back to the community and help out the families who are less fortunate during the upcoming holiday season.

“This is a great opportunity to help others as well as our community,” expressed ASB Board Rep. and Head of Outreach, Gurpreet Kaur. “There are families that can’t put food on the table for themselves and we can help change that.”

All items will be donated to Selma Cares and families will be able to pick up food on December 21st, just in time for the holidays.

“It’s like 500 families [who are helped by this],” states Activities Director Mr. Pallesi. “That’s probably 10% of our population, so that’s a good chunk of Selma that’s helped by that. And we’re a small portion of that but anything we can do to help people like that is amazing.”

And if helping out the community wasn’t rewarding enough, there will also be rewards for the class that donates the most cans.

“[The] first place [class] gets a pizza party,” explained senior Kaur. “So start donating!”

Students across campus are encouraged to donate canned food items and non-perishables to the boxes that have been placed in their 4th period class. The Food Drive will continue all the way until December 13th.