Volleyball Lady Bears Set Away The Season!

Marissa Cerda in action as she blocks a hit. Photo by Katarina Quintana

Julianna Colado, Co-Sports Editor

The Selma Bears volleyball team ended the season achieving several goals and smiles all around. 

The varsity girls played their last game on Wednesday, October 23rd against their rival school, Kingsburg. They lost 3-0, but remained happy with their overall success of the season. 

“We had a few big wins this season, but overall we had a lot of new players this year that had to fill into new roles. It was definitely a building year for our team,” stated Coach Kauffman.

Current hitter Marissa Cerda has been on the varsity for two years now and speaks about the team’s biggest accomplishment of the season. 

“We won two league games against Hanford West both times. This was our first league game win and we definitely showed improvement from last year,” said Cerda.

The Bears made history for Selma High by achieving two league victories for the first time in more than ten years. They beat Hanford West two times on September 16th and October 9th. The Bears final score against Hanford West on the 9th was 3-2. The girls also achieved another win against Sierra High School. 

Liliana Garcia is a first year varsity player on the team. She explains that being on varsity this year has shown her the more competitive side to volleyball and has shown her several ways to improve. 

“My future goals for volleyball are to perfect my skills and technique, and keep a positive attitude on the court,” says Garcia. 

After this year, the Lady Bears will be losing quite a few seniors, including Danielle Leon, Mia Salinas, Jasmine Lozano, and Laila Gallardo. 

“I will definitely miss playing the game the most. I do plan on playing a little longer after high school to enjoy it while I can!” says team captain Laila Gallardo. 

Danielle has been a varsity player since sophomore year and will miss the laughs that came along with being part of the team. 

“I am going to miss the funny moments with the girls and getting ready together for our biggest games,” states Leon. 

The varsity team was able to step up their game this year by winning two league games and another against Sierra High. Their new accomplishments have set their goals higher for the upcoming seasons and have ended their season on a positive note.