The Opening of SHS’s Virtual Library

Screenshot of the New Library Website

Veronica Botros, Reporter

Although the library is closed for in-person visits the staff of the Selma High library worked to allow students to check out books virtually. Students may visit the virtual library through their  website: https://sites.google.com/selmausd.org/shs-virtual-library/home. Here one can find a Google Meet link to connect with the library staff if you have any questions, if you need any library materials, or assistance. The Google Meet hours are from 12:00-12:30 on Mondays, 11:15-12:15 on Tuesday-Friday, and 1:45-2:45 PM Mondays through Friday. There will also be activities for the students such as scavenger hunts for students to participate in. 

In the website you can also find Makerspace where students will be able to request activities to do at home such as virtual pumpkin carving and creating comic strips.

Many students may be hesitant to take advantage of the virtual library.

“To encourage students to participate, we are offering a monthly raffle prize. Students can earn tickets by requesting books or makerspace activities,” explained Clements. 

Clements also explained that students who participate in the Google Meets and Book Club also will be entered for a chance to win. 

E-books are also accessible to students through the use of the soraapp website: www.soraapp.com.  

Students may use BookHub to find books that they may get delivered to their home. To do this The library will be using the transportation department to deliver books to students. Books requested by 12:00 pm on Mondays and Wednesdays will be available for BookHub delivery on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

“Our hope is that every student will find a virtual library activity that interests them,” stated Clements.