Track and Field Makes Great Strides This Season

Anna Armstrong, Co-Editor-in-Chief/Layout Editor

On Saturday February 29th, the Selma High School track team participated in their first meet of the season at Dinuba High School. This meet was entirely made up of different relays. 

Many of the students set new personal records for themselves and all were proud of what they achieved. 

Coach Reyes was particularly impressed with the seniors on the team. 

“Our seniors are leading by example and showing the younger athletes how to compete hard in all of their events,” reflected Reyes. 

Christopher Rosas, a senior, took second place in the 800 against Sanger. He’s had to have a lot of grit and determination in order to achieve his goals. 

“Having the mentality to keep going is the hardest part for me,” stated Rosas. 

The team members and coaches came into the new season with a positive attitude and set many goals. 

“My goal is that everybody improves and feels good about themselves,” stated Coach Henson. 

In addition to team goals, every individual has set personal expectations for themselves.

“I hope to win at least two medals this year,” said senior Carolyne Barajas, who competes in shotput and discus. 

“This track season I hope to improve my times and develop more endurance,” asserted senior Julie Aceves. 

With their performance and goals in mind, the team reflected on the sport they love in the hopes that other students at Selma High School might be encouraged to try out for track. 

“Track is for everyone as long as you have fun, work hard, keep your head up, and keep going forward with confidence,” expressed sophomore Mya Rosas. 

Coach Henson thinks it’s imperative for the students at Selma High School to understand that there is an opportunity for everyone to find their element in track and field. 

“Whether you are a thrower, or sprinter, or long distance runner, in track, there is something for everyone,” concluded Henson. 

On March 20th, Selma will be hosting the Selma High Invitational in the new stadium. Field events will begin at 3:00 PM and track events will begin at 3:30 PM. The team appreciates any support.