Wrestling to Strive On Top

Jacob Rivera pins his Buchanan opponent during rivalry dual. Photo by Mia Salinas

Clarice Flores, Reporter

The boys varsity wrestling team are challenging themselves more than ever on the mat this season. Recently, the team lost to Buchanan High School, 43-20. From the loss, the team gained motivation, the team challenged themselves by taking down four other schools after the event. Which were Exeter, Kingsburg, Dinuba, and Hanford West. As a Division 1 team, these bears are hustling to gain control over their techniques, on taking down their opponent. They’re working on their strength to perfect their own mental and physical energy to ensure their drive towards their goal. The team is working on both of these qualities by encouraging each other during practices and practicing during and after school.

“We work extremely hard at practice as everyone is pushing each other for a spot to be the best version of themselves,” explains senior Isaiah Hernadez. “The pressure we put on ourselves, pushes us to be the best we can be to maintain our status as a serious varsity team.”

The long diligent hours of effort each wrestler puts in, has paid off that is shown through wins so far.

“The plan towards the end of the season is to work harder and to keep practicing to be the best I can be for the postseason.” said senior Julian Roque

The team makes sure they keep their physical physique in shape and conditioned before and even after the season is over to not only manage their weight-class, but to be stronger during duals, matches, and tournaments.

“Every single one of our guys goes to the gym or works out outside of practice, by staying on a healthy consistent diet,” expresses Hernadez. “Staying in shape is very important to keep ourselves right in our weight class.”

By going to the gym and completing long practices the team is gaining more momentum to prepare themselves prepared for the opportunity to rise up to Valley Championships and later to State Championships. 

“This is an opportunity that I’ve been working for a long time,” expressed senior Tristan Lujan. “So far this season I’m on my pace to go to my first season undefeated.”

They’re going to work together to get to their main goal of moving forward to championships, not just as individuals but as “brothers.”

“I wrestle for my team because it’s something I love doing,” expresses Hernadez. “We’re more than a team. We’re truly a family that motivates each other through hard circumstances to congratulating each other through wins.”

Most team members have had years of training through many practices throughout their athletic life, from having wrestling in their childhood to having it in adulthood. For most seniors who are pursuing it in college, are very excited and prepared for the next step in their athletic career, even as a college student.

“I’ve had twelve years of experience,” explained Lujan. “Now I’m leaving to Michigan State University to wrestle this upcoming fall.”

The team has gone through some hard challenges, but they’re going to face upcoming wins very soon. One thing the team has in common is that they truly believe in, is that wrestling isn’t just a competitive sport but a lifestyle.